Our silver products are made of .925 sterling silver and our gold products are 24-carat gold plated. All pieces have a surface treatment in order to protect the longevity of the product.
These surfaces may fade over time due to contact with clothes, hard surfaces, sweat, perfume, hairspray, air pollution and others. Everyday or very frequent wear may speed up this process. We pride ourselves on only using the best quality materials, please take care in order to maximise the longevity of your purchase.
CARE OF JEWELLERY
The scratches and bumps from everyday wear will show on any metal. Generally, all jewellery should be regularly washed in hot soapy water. You can buy proprietary cleaning products for gold and platinum and these metals will easily retain their colour. The finish on all metal will change with wear - matt finish becomes more shiny and a highly polished finish becomes duller. This change is particularly noticeable on rings because they are more likely to be knocked and rubbed than necklaces.
Silver jewellery is particularly susceptible to oxidisation. If you experience any blackening of the jewellery when it is new, we recommend cleaning with concentrated washing-up liquid and a soft toothbrush. Any initial discolouration should fade in time. You should avoid contact with chemicals such as peroxide, chlorine or sulphure because they discolour silver.
Unfortunately some people react against silver jewellery and turn it black, this could be due to diet, or some medications.
- Avoid direct contact with water and chemical products e.g. soap, perfume, abrasive products.
- Do not wear jewellery when in the swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna/steam room or while bathing or showering.
- Chlorine, detergents, oils and perfumes can all cause tarnishing and damage.
- Remove jewellery when doing household tasks.
- Avoid impact with hard surfaces.
- Make-up, perfume and hairspray all contain chemicals which may dull the finish of your jewellery.
- Gently wipe jewellery clean with a soft cloth after each wear to remove makeup and oils (from skin).
- Coil chains gently to prevent damage in storage.
- Don’t yank or pull chains.
We offer a 6-month warranty on all Helana McKenzie Designs products from date of purchase. This warranty covers manufacturing faults (but does not cover neglect or wear & tear) and we will at our discretion replace or repair your damaged product.